misskatiellen

MissKatiEllen

Don't say Beetlejuice three times.

.Dreaming of Wonderland : Living in reality.

The Book of Life (All Souls)
Deborah E. Harkness
Progress: 299/656 pages
Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Jacob Grimm
Progress: 439/844 pages

.The Sleeper and the Spindle Book Review.

The Sleeper and the Spindle - Neil Gaiman, Chris Riddell

This review can also be found at MissKatiEllen & Goodreads.

When I see the words Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell together it's safe to say I turn into a screaming fangirl. After reading Coraline and The Graveyard Book accompanied by, quite frankly, some haunting and freakishly fabulous illustrations; I was dying to get my hands on The Sleeper and the Spindle. Anyone who knows me or has watched my book vlogs will know my undying love for fairy tales and retellings. We all know that where Gaiman is concerned it was never going to straightforward.

I certainly wasn't disappointed.

You think you know where it's going but then you're taken in a different direction. A story of a Princess/Queen about to get married who goes off on a quest after hearing a sleeping curse is slowly creeping forward and no one knows why. From the minute we arrive in the town things get creepy quick, they start to move eerily slowly, but remaining asleep.

Although short a lot happens, it's not overly wordy and doesn't explain every single part of the journey; which makes a nice change. You don't feel like you're missing out either. Of course I could never review this book without discussing the illustrations. I sometimes feel that the illustrations make half the story, words aren't always needed. Mind bogglingly detailed, there is something about his work that reminds me a Disney film called The Black Cauldron (so creepy and out there for Disney).

Once again Gaiman and Riddell have made me a happy camper, a fairy tale different from most but comprised of the familiar. That's it folks, I'd love to know you're thoughts too; as always you can like and follow me if you want to share the love. Until next time.heart
Happy reading.