misskatiellen

MissKatiEllen

Don't say Beetlejuice three times.

.Dreaming of Wonderland : Living in reality.

Heartless
Deborah Harkness
Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Jacob Grimm
Progress: 439/844 pages

.Vampire Academy Book Review.

Vampire Academy  - Richelle Mead

It has taken me I couldn't tell you how many years but finally I've started Vampire Academy. All in all a good read, I like it when an author really puts there own stamp on vampires such as Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods Vampires and P.C & Kristin Cast's House of Night series.

At times I felt like it got too caught up in the high school drama, I didn't mind it but I'm hoping the second book will move on from that a bit and focus on explaining more about the Moroi (vampire) and Dhampir (half human half vampire) guardian relationship as well as the dangerous Strigoi vampires.

I found it hard to like Rose to begin with, she seemed very possessive of Lissa and slightly controlling of her. I understand that whilst they were on the run they only had each other, but once they return Rose isn't fond of sharing her. I found myself getting a tad annoyed at her when she started running her mouth off, don't get me wrong I'm all for strong female leads, but I found myself wanting to shake her and scream 'shut up for god's sake you'll make it worse for the two of you!'

However it seemed that as she took her additional training more seriously and grew into her role as Lissa's guardian she grew on me and I began to like her more and more. I loved the idea of separating them one of them once they returned, it meant we got to know Lissa via her bond with Rose, through this we got to understand her thoughts and feeling first hand and personally.
I'm hoping in the second book we get to see a stronger side to Lissa now she has fully come to terms with her Moroi abilities and is no longer having to be play social queen.

Throughout the book we're drip fed information, Lissa and Rose's past, what made them run from the academy, why they won't talk about the accident, vampire royalty as well as Moroi powers and ability. This is the first the second book I've read which had a human/vampire breed, what I like about this version is that Dhampirs are trained to protect Moroi and become guardians even though their powers and abilities aren't as great as the Moroi. It is things like this I really enjoyed about the book as well as Moroi, Dhampir and feeder relationships.

All in all I wasn't disappointed but I do feel I may have enjoyed it more had I read it when I was either in high school of college, perhaps I wouldn't have minded the Academy drama so much.
Happy reading.