misskatiellen

MissKatiEllen

Don't say Beetlejuice three times.

.Dreaming of Wonderland : Living in reality.

Heartless
Deborah Harkness
Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Jacob Grimm
Progress: 439/844 pages

.Monstrous Beauty Book Review.

Monstrous Beauty - Elizabeth Fama

*Pre review rant*
HOLY CRAP YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!! I read this whilst on holiday at Disneyland, and holy crap I couldn't wait for bedtime!! THIS BOOK DAMMIT!!

After searching for a mermaid based book I came across this Gem by Elizabeth Fama. I read this whilst on holiday at Disneyland and it made my experience even better. There was magic during the day and magic last thing at night. I feel in love with this book only 8 pages in.

I want to know so much more about mermaid life, I feel like we only get a sneak peek into their world and I want to know so much more. Although in the bonus material I got another sighting of Syrenka, I would love to have a sequel based on her and her sisters over time.

The story is told in two parts, Syrenkas in 1872 and Hester in present day. Due to what took place in the past Hester is cursed, just like her mother before her, to spend her life alone and and unhappy or end up like her mother and the woman before her. Dead after giving birth. What could have been an annoying love triangle it wasn't, Peter gets that Hester doesn't look at him like that, and he puts aside his feelings for her to be her friend. But after a strange series of events (and paranormal, but only the reader is aware) and a meeting with Ezra Hester finds a reason to fight against the curse.

I really enjoyed the two timelines, it meant to we got to learn about the past before Hester, understanding the events that took place and Syrenka did to create the curse. Everything and everyone were tied together. The only fault I really have with this book is the explanation of how mermaids can become human. Fama writes that it is in two parts, the first being simple. To bear a man's child will give her a mortal soul and the second is a price no one should be willing to pay. I'm not 100% on this, but I think it is implying taking a human life. When I talking to a friend, who I threw this book at once I'd finished it, she agreed with me that it wasn't completely clear.

This book was a great read, I really need another book though, that has to be the biggest downside. I want to know more about the mermaids, they are described as beautiful creatures "pale and luminescent as a ghost, with swirling white hair." Yet once you get the full picture their actually quite creepy looking plus their quite animal like, the way they hunt for food and tear into it. I really would recommend this book.
Happy Reading.