misskatiellen

MissKatiEllen

Don't say Beetlejuice three times.

.Dreaming of Wonderland : Living in reality.

The Forever Song
Julie Kagawa
Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Jacob Grimm
Progress: 439/844 pages

.Monstrous Beauty Book Review.

Monstrous Beauty - Elizabeth Fama

This review can also be found at LostBetweenThePages & Goodreads.

"It was a woman--as pale and luminescent as a ghost, with swirling white hair. Ezra startled, dropping his pencil into the water. Her face snapped toward him. Her eyes were too large, clear green, and had horizontal, slit-shaped pupils, reminiscent of an octopus."

After searching for a mermaid based book I came across this gem by Elizabeth Fama. I read this whilst on holiday at Disneyland and it made my experience even better. There was magic during the day and magic last thing at night. I fell in love with this book only eight pages in.

The story is told in two parts, Syrenkas in 1872 and Hester in present day. Due to what took place in the past Hester is cursed, just like her mother before her, to spend her life alone and unhappy or end up like her mother and the woman before her. Dead after giving birth. What could have been an annoying love triangle wasn't, Peter gets that Hester doesn't look at him like that, and he puts aside his feelings for her to be her friend. But after a strange series of events and a chance meeting with Ezra, Hester finds a reason to fight against the curse.

I really enjoyed the two timelines, it meant to we got to learn about the past before Hester, understanding the events that took place and the creation of the curse. Everything and everyone is tied together. The only fault I really have with this book is the explanation of how mermaids can become human. Fama writes that it is in two parts, the first being simple. To bear a man's child will give her a mortal soul and the second is a price no one should be willing to pay. I'm not 100% on this, but I think it is implying taking a human life. When I talking to a friend, who I threw this book at once I'd finished it, she agreed with me that it wasn't completely clear.

"Pale and luminescent as a ghost, with swirling white hair." Yet once you get the full picture their actually quite creepy looking plus their quite animal like, the way they hunt for food and tear into it. This has to be one of my most favourite reads, I would recommend to everyone. I just wish there was another, I love the world created. Although in the bonus material there is a another sighting of Syrenka, I would love to have a sequel based on her and her sisters set prior to the novel.